I have spent the last week doing a lot of educating, soul searching, and contemplating the issue of Racism in America. Specifically, I have spent a lot of time reading, discussing, and pondering the concepts in White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo. I learned so many things, but my greatest takeaways are:
- White privilege and white people’s ignorance and acceptance of it is what creates our racist society.
- Having honest discussions about racism is extremely difficult but necessary.
- White people must be open and non-defensive about hearing how we are playing into and perpetuating racism.
Since having these takeaways and so many more, I am going to embark on the following:
- Require the leadership team to each read White Fragility and engage in honest dialogues with each other about these topics regularly.
- Digital Remedy will gladly reimburse any Digital Remedy employee who wants to buy and read White Fragility.
- Work to bring in SMEs throughout the year to help us learn and work through these ideas.
- Make June 19, “Juneteenth” (the day commemorating the end of slavery) an employee paid holiday, going forward. Encouraging our employees to use that day to educate themselves on Juneteenth and give themselves to the Black Community. Juneteenth is currently observed or recognized as a state holiday in 47 states and Washington D.C.
I will not stand for Racism or any injustice in this world nor in this organization. Although I know it exists, and some white people proliferate its existence. My goal is to invoke as much change and healing as humanly possible.
While this is only the beginning of our journey, it is nowhere near the end. Speaking up is and will always be tough; but I need my Remediers to be brave, open, and receptive to change the system. I as your CEO and leader want us to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. This will take time, energy, and focus, but even if we affect the smallest amount of change, the world will improve.
Please constantly work with me and the Leadership Team, to help us build a company and culture that creates real change. Not only in our industry, but in our world. Creating a better tomorrow for all who inhabit it. Even those who don’t understand these ideas…yet. #BLM #BlackLivesMatter #WeSeeYou #WeHearYou #WeStandWithYou
-Mike Seiman, CEO & Founder